Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Act 1 Scene 4

(Enter Rome, Mercutio, Benvolio, with a few other maskers; torchbearers)
(They have their costumes on for the dance)
Romeo- Are we getting in with our normal excuse?
Benvolio- No, that speech doesn’t work anymore. We’ll go in and dance for a little bit and then we’ll leave.
Romeo- Give me one of the lights. I don’t want to dace I’m still too sad. I’ll wait out here until you guys are done.
Mercutio- No, Romeo, you’re coming in and dancing with us.
Romeo- No I can’t. You’re happy and I am sad and lonely.
Mercutio- Romeo, you are a lover so borrow Cupid’s wings and fly with them!
Romeo- My heart is too heavy to be flying so high like Cupid. Love is too much for me to handle.
Mercutio- If love is too hard for you don’t stand there and take it, get back at love by being rough back at it.
Benvolio- Come on let’s go in and dance!
Romeo- No I’m not going. Let me stay on the outskirts and watch. I’ve never really liked dancing and I’m tired.
Mercutio- Come on, we’ll help you through this and dancing will help you a lot.
Romeo-No, it won’t. And I know we aren’t trying to get in any trouble going to the dance, but it doesn’t seem like that good of an idea.
Mercutio- Well, why not?
Romeo- I had a dream last night… that this dance won’t go well.
Mercutio- Yeah, so did I.
Romeo- Well, what was your dream about?
Mercutio- I dreamt that dreamers often lie.
Romeo-When we are asleep, we don’t lie.
Mercutio- Romeo, we all dream things. That doesn’t mean that they will come true. They are like children’s stories in some ways that they either give you a false emotion of either happiness or sadness. That story can be twisted into whatever mood you want it to have. Your dream meant nothing to you. Dreams aren’t real life and you can’t take them seriously.
Romeo-Hold on Mercutio! You aren’t talking about anything right now.
Mercutio-You’re right. I’m not talking about anything.
Benvolio-Come on you guy’s, if we don’t go now we’ll be too late for the dance.
Romeo-Fine I don’t want to go, but I will. Let’s go!
Benvolio- Alright!
(Everyone exits)

No comments:

Post a Comment